Thursday, December 15, 2005

USA and Israel

When checking in to my Lufthansa flight in Frankfurt a couple of hours ago, I noticed something interesting. All flights to the USA from Frankfurt have a special check-in desk. That desk is marked "USA and Israel". This brought to mind the famous story from the late 60's or early 70's (which I just told over lunch at Rafi's house on Shabat). In it, Ben-Gurion and Moshe Dayan are talking to each other about what they could do to solve the economic problems Israel had in those days. Moshe Dayan then proposed: "I got it ! This is what we do: we launch an attack on the United States. They beat us. We are annexed as the 51st State. The dollar becomes our official currency. All our problems are solved !"
"Ingenious !" exclaims Ben-Gurion. But then, pensive, he adds: "But what if we win ?"

This post was entered courtesy of the "Connexion" service by Boeing, allowing me to access the internet from my flight at 10,000 feet.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw that ElAl will be offering Connexion on their 777s starting soon. But can you only connect at lower altitudes? What happens at 36000 feet?

jsaar said...

The system is satellite-based, meaning no problem at all at higher altitudes. The best thing is: it really works. We're talking real, full-time, broadbank service. On a previous trip a few months back I worked throughout the flight, even calling people on their phones using skype-out. This time I limited communications to email and IM'ing.